Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hackers v. Scientologists

Maybe you're a hacker. Maybe you're a scientologist. In any case, it's time to pick sides. A group calling itself "Anonymous" (which is kind of like being "Anonymous," right?) has apparently declared war on the Church of Scientology. In fact, the first blows have fallen. So it all comes down to this. Who's side will YOU be on?

I spent last weekend at Arisia, one of the two Boston-area SF&F cons I attend every year. One of the panels I went to was entitled "When did society get so awesome?" Whether or not society is awesome is, of course, up for debate. The panel was mostly about how formerly nerdy things such as Talk Like a Pirate Day and Zombie Marches have become more mainstream. I wonder, though, does a war between Hackers and Scientologists count as making society more awesome? I think it does. There are, after all, robots fighting pirates on the high seas. So maybe this is all just normal now?

Maybe I'm being too glib. Maybe Scientologists and their freedom of speech squelching powers are a more lethal foe than I'm willing to acknowledge. Maybe the possibility that mercenary Hackers can shut down organizations by flexing their l33t skillz is a dangerous precedent to set. I don't know. I think this is a pretty funny war.

Certainly not the most hilarious war. But pretty funny.

Anyway, "Anonymous" has issued a press release for your perusal. You can also find more, including a written statement and a YouTube video "Anonymous" released, at this Wired blog post. (I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't know if it's SFW or not).

Or maybe this is nothing. After all, the battle between Scientology and the Internet is ancient and well-documented. This might just be the most recent blood-letting. Let's enjoy it while we can!

(P.S.: If any of the links to Scientology pages aren't working, it may well be because of this war.)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can the hackers ever win with this guy on their side:

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise-indoctrination-video-scientology-tried-to-suppress

most of you have probably seen this, but I thought it appropriate given dan's posting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home