Thursday, August 14, 2008

cincinnati streetcars

the new york times is reporting on cincinnati's looming vote on the long-planned streetcar system:
Cincinnati officials are assembling financing for a $132 million system that would connect the city’s riverfront stadiums, downtown business district and Uptown neighborhoods, which include six hospitals and the University of Cincinnati, in a six- to eight-mile loop. Depending on the final financing package, fares may be free, 50 cents or $1.

The city plans to pay for the system with existing tax revenue and $30 million in private investment. The plan requires the approval of Mayor Mark Mallory, a proponent, and the City Council.


having played a part in a few transit system cost-benefit analyses myself here at the new jobby job, if they're only planning to charge between $0 and $1 per ticket, this thing must have the potential for some pretty balls-out economic benefits.

chief among them: dudes like me would consider moving back.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Blogger stridewideman said...

This is indeed mighty sweet. Nice to see even places like the 'Nati making common sense decisions when it comes to stuff like this.

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger dan said...

I agree. Good public transportation (and for me that means you at least have something that goes on rails) has rapidly become a black-and-white issue for regarding cities that I'd want to live in. If you don't have it, I don't want to live in your town. This kind of thing would instantly put the Nasty back on my radar. Unless it ends up being just another Detroit People-Mover. Because that's a joke.

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger stridewideman said...

Yeah, I mostly agree, Dan, though I will add the proviso that a town with a bike friendly ethos makes it up the list. Minneapolis has a joke light rail (though it does go to the airport from downtown), but the bike paths and general bike-lovin' vibe of the town make it livable.

PS Dan, crisis averted. I'm on my way back to Boston. Also, I should note that I'm blogging from a bus, which is in motion. More on this later.

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger the cold cowboy said...

The twin cities have their shit together though - they have enough ridership on that one line (and enough revenue) that they've already started on additional ones. you can't make a full system in one pass, so people will inevitably complain that the nati's system isn't comprehensive enough too. these shits take time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home