Friday, July 09, 2004

Friday Morning Poetry!

Madcap Hubcap

I'm set atop a hubcap
Hov'ring, darting through a misty haze.
Below me spreads a car-park
Where a herd of speechless drivers graze.

From out their rusted, bloated
Cars a bit of brush is leaping, green.
And they seem flabbergasted--
Snarling faces haggard, angry, lean.

Then I buzz down among their
Heads, which stink of hay and dung and sweat,
And dodge their grasping hands, slap
Back their fingers while I stress and fret.

Each finger, terrifying,
Every rusty car a saw-toothed maw,
Each bleating bark implying
That my hubcap has a deadly flaw.

Too late I realize that
They are right, that I am falling fast.
Before me looms more wreckage
Lined with gears, corroded nails and glass.

I'm shouting, shouting silent,
When I hit the wreck my hubcap flies,
And as I struggle up I
Turn my head to seek for where it lies.

It's lying not too far off
Covered thick with rust and creeping vines.
And looking at it closely
I can scarce believe it once was mine.

I'm torn, bereft and flightless.
I look to the sky and sadly see
Above, the shadows darting
Are now alien, a mystery.



Ahem, well. I think i might take a short hiatus from Friday Poetry. You know. I think you're all bored of it. i kind of am too.

have good weekends, all!

dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home