Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I love Taxachusetts.

I was filled with delight and a most pleasant surprise this morning when I bellied up to my voter booth, took a thorough look at my ballot and discovered that, as a result of living in Denise Provost's Somerville district, I was being offered the chance to fire my entire state legislature.

The nothing-if-not-maverick Question 5 wonders:

"Shall the state representative from this district be instructed to vote in favor of amending the state Constitution to replace the state Legislature with 100 randomly selected adult residents of the Commonwealth, each serving a one-year term, to be called the Commonwealth Jury and to have all the legislative and other powers of the current Legislature?"

That's right! Get 'em out of there. A Commonwealth Jury is good for what ails me.

Imagine my soaring hopes and dreams when I discovered that, as a potential "randomly selected adult [resident] of the Commonwealth" I might one day legislate great laws for this most un-American corner of Newe Englande.

So attention, residents of Somerville: get out there and vote yes on non-binding Question 5. Urge YOUR representative to suggest firing herself and her closest 99 buddies!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:53 AM , Blogger totallybloated said...

dan, whats up with the greyhounds and weed up there?

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger dan said...

We like getting high, but apparently we no longer like watching sleek, weird looking beasts race one another and poop.

Seriously, has anyone else ever been to a dog race? Those dogs will drop loads whenever. They parade the dogs out to the starting boxes before the race, and the the two times I went, we'd usually base out betting on whoever pooped during the parade. It just seemed like that dog should be a little more ready to run after dropping that last minute deuce.

Seth and I have commiserated over the loss of this eminently New English tradition. But I guess dogs are cool and shouldn't be live miserable lives and all that. Still, I have to think there was a little joy to be had in chasing that little fake rabbit around the track. Man, they wanted to catch that rabbit.

I think banning dog-racing is, in the end, more about helping people than dogs. Wonderland Dog Track, in spite of its name, was fucking depressing.

As for the weed, it just makes sense. New revenue for the state, no more using taxes to put kids who have done basically nothing wrong in jail...it just makes good sense. Like letting gay people get married. But not everyone can be as cool as Massachusetts.

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger the cold cowboy said...

i can only assume that last line was a cut against my newly adopted state, which bafflingly voted for proposition 8 to ban gay marriage by a slim margin. on the plus side, i now have a reason to vote in this state, even though my presidential vote is worthless:

i will not stop until this state forces all teenage dudes to marry at least one other dude as a requirement for high school graduation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home