Friday, May 14, 2004

Friday Morning Poetry Time!

Plato Fun Factory

At noon today I paid a
Visit to my dearest Philo-chap.
I found dear Plato waist deep
In a pile of tools and boards and scrap.

So baffled was I that I
Asked him "What's with all the carpentry?"
Said he "My friend, I'm building
Here a plant, a joyous factory!

With which to manufacture
Smiles and shouting laughs and mischief grand!
Assembly lines of workmen
Turning out such fun for all the land!

I asked him why he'd build it,
What would make a learn-ed man so toil?
He answered simply "Sorrow
Rules us, but now I produce it's foil!"

So knelt me down and grasped a
Hammer, pounded nail and sanded board
Whilst my friend Plato spoke of
Anamnesis, and it's joyous hoard.

Said he "We'll make a silly
Product, perfect for the human head
To recollect that fun is
Fleeting--it shan't linger if not fed."

I saw then that his mind had
Tricked him, that the plant was doomed to fail.
He'd make some footballs, maybe
Toy trucks, finger paints and sandbox pails.

But they could not return the
Mem'ries, never would the pails unearth
That grain, that kernal, all that
Knowing, rarely seen, for all it's worth.

The factory, though fun, would
Bankrupt my dear Plato, CEO
And he would go from riches
Back to rags, that more befit him though.

But still I weathered all the
Splinters, hammered, sanded, board and nail,
For yet a grin was pasted
To his mug, too big for me to quail.


Happy Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home