Friday, June 30, 2006

Three insightful stories:

1. At my job, we are provided with a complimentary continental breakfast each Friday. Yesterday, I received the following email:

"In honor of National Hunger Awareness Month the Chicago office has decided to challenge everyone to give up Friday breakfasts and donate the funds to The Greater Chicago Food Depository. The firm will be donating the money saved from canceling the Friday breakfast on June 23rd and June 30th, which is over $1,700.

"We will be working with our food vendors to also donate food in honor of National Hunger Awareness Month. The food will be donated to The Greater Chicago Food Depository.

"Thank you for your anticipated generosity."

2. At my job, there are lots of constantly changing procedures, guidelines and rule that me and each of my "counterparts" are expected to stay abreast of. At our staff meeting on Tuesday, my boss gave a "pop quiz," containing five questions about firm procedures. We were given fifteen minutes to scribble our answers on the sheets before passing them back in. Then we went through the quiz, question by question, and my boss called on people to answer, obviously singling out those she thought might be confused about certain procedures.

3. At my job, I regularly arrive four to 12 minutes late. Some days I arrive fifteen minutes early, and very occasionally I arrive up to 20 minutes late. Firm procedure dictates that any tardiness less than 20 minutes can be made up during one's lunchbreak or other "make-up time." Anything greater than 20 minutes must be recorded in one's timesheet.

Today I was 20 minutes late. My boss reported me to her supervisor, who asked me down to her office, where she accused me of "falsifying my timesheet" because I recorded that I had come in at nine. She then told me she was not going to give me a written warning, "because she didn't want to," but rather than I am now to send her an e-mail as soon as I arrive each morning so that she can "keep track of me."

Don't tell nobody, but I'm leaving in a month. Please leave comments to this post. Thank you for your anticipated generosity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home