Monday, March 14, 2005

Today my mother faxed me the proposed plans for the new lake house my parvenu aunt Sue is having built adjancent to (and soon to be looming over) the lake house my family currently shares in southern Michigan. They wanted to know whether I had any comments or revisions to make before the plans are finalized. They've already begun to lay the concrete foundations.

The plans are boring and cookie-cutter enough, and seem to completely ignore the fact of the lake 30 feet in front of the front door. There is no southern glazing.

I looked up the architecture firm, The Jenkins Group, and found a slew of lovely strip malls, highlighted by enormous chain grocery stores, each capped with meaningless steel and brick decorations. Their website (which consists of a single flash animation) boasts corporate and industrial campuses, and more grocery stores. There is no residential shown.

One thing is clear: they design for cars far more frequently than they do people. I was surprised in fact to see that they hadn't included a garage in the building plan for this lake house, considering the fact that the street is approximately 200 feet from the house.

Fuck all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home