Tuesday, November 30, 2004

"Friday night football--the lights shine, the speakers blare, and the field rumbles. There on the stadium side, seems to be the entire hometown; we site there and wait for our beloved Golden Aces to appear from behind the woods. We wait for our team to charge onto the sod and add to its glory. The end of the game brings the dreaded trudge back up the stadium steps, before heading to Taco Tierra for a famous Taco drink. After that, the party rages at 5th Quarter as we wait for our football friends to arrive before turning in for the night.
Saturday morning's dew dries to reveal the splendor of autumn's color. I spend the morning helping Dad with errands uptown, or in the barber shop listening to The Coach's Show on the radio. Grandma comes, and our ritual lunch at McDonald's precedes my afternoon of mowing. Saturday night is purely random: join the tailgaters at Taco, join a cookout on the river, or, if I am really lucky, join the girl next door for a night out.
I spend Sunday morning in God's Word, followed by lunch at Tequila's. The afternoon is for washing my truck or relaxing on the golf course. Youth groups starts at 6pm, followed by an hour of intense doge ball. Back home by ten, I rush through unfinished homework and pluck around on my guitar. Finally I collapse into my bed, looking forward to next Friday all over again.
This is how I spend my free time, how I have fun. This is how life goes here in the Midwest. This is the heartland, where the blacktop ends and the black soil begins. This is where Corn Day is the favorite holiday. This is where the quarterback dates the farmer's daughter. This is the life Kenny Chesney sings about. This is where all that happens. This is where my roots come from, and this is lifestyle is what I am most proud of."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home