Friday, October 29, 2004

Friday Morning (When I can muster it) Poetry!

Well, my jimbies, it's the last Friday of the bewitching month, so I thought I'd try for one more scary poem. Here goes.


Furnace

My journey ends at
A dim cave a-flicker
With flames that are seeking me
Brightly and fierce.

Then as I enter
A chatter arises-
By harsh, jarring mockery
My skull is pierced.

Glowing heads cackle
Surrounding me, crying
"The Furnace! The Furnace is
Calling for thee!"

I must surrender
And follow their gestures
The glowing maw pulses with
Hatred for me.

Skinless hands herd me,
And cut me and slash me
And probe for what's left of
My fear-wasted soul.

"Want it! We want it!"
And I acquiesce to
Their cries, to their hunger, their
Needs, black as coal.

Cold fingers pluck it
From out of my breast and
I never foresaw what pain
My sins would shed.

Dark were my deeds and
Yet darker my ending.
Now stained, by my blood, are the
Hands of the dead.

Empty and icy
My body is dying,
My cold dormant chest is
Now fit for the fire.

I see no more but
The flames that engulf me,
No protest have I 'gainst this
Funeral pyre.


Well. My feeble attempts at spooky poetry can now be brought to a close.

Happy Halloween everyone!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home